About the Customer
The customer is a leading energy distribution system operator (DSO) in Europe transporting electricity, gas and heat to consumers, businesses and institutions. Since demand for energy is dynamic, DSOs need to manage it intelligently. To enable the smart grid, they need local usage & performance information and ways to remotely control the network.
The Business Challenge
The main requirement was to build a private mobile network for the distribution system operators (DSOs) in the region to stay sovereign and protected from unwanted takeovers of the network operator. The network solution should provide the data communication between devices in the smart grid and central applications. The main focus is on the readout of smart meters.
- Creation of a cost-effective network solution with a private nation-wide coverage mobile network, able to handle the required load and performance.
- IoT communication: lots of requests, small amount of data.
- Turnkey solution, including O/BSS functions.
- Scalability to allow millions of customers.
An in-depth proof of concept was developed for the customer that further burgeoned to a full-fledged solution. The private network deployed comes with advantages such as better control & ownership, flexibility, and scalability. It uses a specific communication band to draw the benefits such as high penetration, stability, and capability to handle lots of requests with brief amounts of data.
Private mobile network covering:
- Radio base stations
- Backhaul transmission network
- Packet core network & network element managers
Business and operational support systems covering:
- Network fulfillment
- Network inventory
- Network assurance
The packet core network and the O/BSS functions are implemented in a geographically redundant setup.
The Business Impact
- Private network, with ownership of the entire infrastructure, flexibility, and scalability
- Network reliability
- Solution enabling data communication
- Extensible for a large variety of applications to monitor, read out, control, and switch devices in the smart grid
- Turnkey solution with full O/BSS functionalities
- Scalability allowing millions of customers
- Extended lifespan for the network